Visual Analytics and Data Storytelling
How do you present data in an interesting, engaging manner for effective communication? Master the art of visualizing data and communicate key insights through data storytelling. This course is perfect for those involved in data analysis on a day-to-day basis.
This workshop is designed for people who are involved in data analysis and need to make data presentations to stakeholders. It introduces participants to the importance of visualizing data—not just for analysis, but also for effective communication. Participants will learn the principles of data visualization and also frameworks to choose appropriate charts for communicating their key insights. This is a hands-on workshop and can be conducted using Tableau, Power BI or Excel. Participants will be able to create data stories with visuals to communicate their data analysis effectively in order to achieve the desired outcomes.
This course is ideal for:
- Those who are involved in data analysis and require data visualisation skills for management reporting.
- Those who need to make data presentations to internal or external stakeholders.
This data visualization course is designed to help participants:
- Learn the importance of data visualization and its role in data analysis and communication.
- Appreciate the principles of data vizualisation including visual cues and pre-attentive attributes to drive attention and focus.
- Apply the key principles and techniques of data visualization to charts and graphs for effective communication.
- Enumerate different types of charts and the context for their use.
- Choose appropriate visualizations for data analysis and data communication based on the context and purpose.
- Craft appropriate messages based on the insights from the data.
- Describe the methodology of moving from the message to choosing an appropriate chart.
- Structure messages into a storyline and tell a convincing story to stakeholders supported by charts, graphs and visualisations to achieve business outcomes.
- Describe the different types of dashboards, who uses them and what is the objective of each type.
- Create a simple and structured dashboard that is aligned with the requirements and enables business outcomes to be achieved.
- Data visualization – the big picture
- Principles and techniques of data visualization (from a communication perspective)
- Choosing appropriate charts
- Data storytelling
- Overview of tools
Type of participants
- Experience in data analytics
- Basic knowledge of MS Excel
This course explains visual analytics and communication in the context of solving business problems. Like all our courses, this one too finds resonance with our participants because it is relatable.
Hands-on with a BI tool
Rather than loading up on theory, we give participants a working knowledge of BI tools like Tableau and Power BI through the analysis and visualization of datasets.
We take an intuitive but rule-based approach to using the right visuals in the right context to achieve desired outcomes. It helps participants apply the same principles at work to improve efficiencies.
Making a difference
“Clear instructions, very engaging and relevant topics. Most useful and engaging course I’ve been so far.”
“I thought the course was fantastic. I actually hate dealing with statistics, but I really enjoyed this course and employing Tableau. Thank you so much!”
“Trainer was excellent; he explained concepts very well and patiently took us through the steps to use Tableau. His use of both historical and contemporary examples made the lesson more meaningful and fun. Two thumbs up!”
“The course provided an overview of data visualization before teaching us about Tableau. The instructor was able to deconstruct the process which made learning easy. Plenty of hands-on learning.”
“The usage of visualisations greatly aided in clarity the presentation of stats.”
“Well-informed trainer who extends our minds beyond the mechanics of data visualisation to consider the why for what we do, approach, thinking required in context. Good embedding of anecdotes, stories, examples.”
“I liked learning how to use power BI to build dashboards and having enough hands-on time to build them.”
“Trainer is very structured and explains the rationale behind good visualization techniques and did not just focus on how to use the tool. One of the best and most useful courses I have attended.”
“Very good introduction to data visualisation, exposing the class to the various tools & techniques for different purposes.”
“The training provides a good framework for critical and analytical thinking. Cool value-add through Tableau (and some excel) and the instructor was engaging!”